Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday, May 21, 2011 Next Available Work Day

We had a beautiful week, warm almost-70’s weather, but not today. The weather service predicted a major storm which included heavy rain, thunder and lightning, and “damaging hail”, and those who like these kind of storms were not disappointed. There even was a warning of possible tornados. Thankfully the hanger makes it comfortable to work in an indoors environment.

My goal for today was to try to again attach the engine tubes to the uprights. With the weight of the engine and the close tolerances I have not been able to get the bolts completely through the tubes and their mounting brackets. And today I also was unable to get these bolts lined up on both sides. I took the car jack and lug wrench out of the car to help as a pry bar, so hopefully we won’t have a flat tire for the next week or so until I get this situation resolved. It appears to be a two-person job, so I’ll ask John to try to help me maybe next week.

The other thing I wanted to get done was to get new bungees on the main axle. I had purchased all new bungees of three different sizes to replace the bungees on the carriage and the wing. The ones on the main axles required cutting to length, cauterizing each end, and then wrapping them around under tension eight times and bolting them at each end. Relatively simple process, although surprisingly time-consuming, but I was able to complete it. I also wanted to get two more washers for the wheels to tighten them still more. Shouldn’t be a problem.

So I went home with at least a partially successful airport visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment