Friday, February 5, 2010

February 5, 2010 – Disassemble the Carriage

As I had planned, I went up to the airport again. Sandra was visiting Judy and Larry Nelson in Llitchfield but made me promise that I would keep John informed when I went up to the airport, and when I returned. There was just a little nagging fear in her mind harkening back to the last time I went to the airport.
I started to dismantle the carriage. I took off the side rails, the uprights, and the wheel plate on the right side that would need to be straightened. I took off the remains of the wheel also on the right side to determine the diameter of the bearing to order a replacement.
Without taking too much time, and without any negative incidents relative to my physical situation, I collected the parts and put them into the trunk of the car and brought them home. Thus began my research to decide if or how to rebuild the carriage.
I found that most of the main carriage tubing is “sleeved”, i.e., there are outside tubes and inner tubes. The side rails and uprights are 1.750 x .058 outer sleeve and 1.625 inner sleeve. The best supplier seems to be Online Metals Store, which is in the Minneapolis area, so I wouldn’t have to worry about shipping. At least it seems like the rebuilding is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment