Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday, July 31, 2010 Axles and Wheels


I went up to the airport to hopefully get the side rails done and attach the front wheel assembly and rear swing axle and attach the wheels. I also wanted to redo some of the connections I had done before to add the plugs on the ends of the side rails that I didn’t include last time, correct the installation of the gas tank sling and seat, and replace the old AN hardware with new bolts, washers, and nuts wherever possible.
It took awhile to all the rework done, but then I turned my attention to getting the axles and wheels installed. The axle bracket on the left side (away from where the crash damage was) went together smoothly, but the right side wasn’t so slick. I worked the rest of the morning on getting the holes aligned for the main axle bolt. No luck. It came to within about 1/4 inch of aligning, but no further. I think I need a come-along or clamp or something to compress the brackets to get the bolt to go in. It’s a complicated sub-assembly and everything has to be perfectly aligned for it to come together. I left and went home without resolving the problem.
Chad, a friend of John’s, owns every tool known to mankind, so I asked him for help, and he kindly loaned me a C-clamp to compress everything so the holes in the axle brackets can be aligned and the axle bolt can be pushed through the brackets and axle tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment