Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday, April 07, 2012 Get the Engine Started

Today’s task is to try to figure out the starting technique so the engine will cold-start. I had put the charger on the battery all last night so there should be plenty of juice. The first thing I found after unloading the carriage, was to discover that the in-line fuse holder for the starter had broken. So I had to make a quick trip to the local auto parts store to get a new fuse holder. I saw the fuse was 15A, which seems a little wimpy to me, but it won’t hurt to use a lower amperage one than a heavier one; the worst that can happen it that it will blow easier.

So after returning from the parts store, I wired the fuse holder in and then attached a rope from a post in the garage to the axle of the carriage, just to be sure to prevent a runaway. Richard Schmidt had e-mailed me a suggested cold-start procedure and I will try that. He said that since small 2-cycle engines had the tendency to load up and flood, he suggested that the throttle should be closed until the engine started. So here’s the procedure: 1) throttle closed, 2) choke on, 3) push primer bulb until you feel resistance (indicating that the carburetor bowl is full), 4) switch on and starter engaged. After doing this, the engine cranked but did not start. But after a few seconds of rest, I tried again and the engine roared to life, albeit missing and sputtering. Not surprising for the 2-cycle with choke on. I turned the choke off and gave a little gas and the engine ran and continued to run smoothly.

That is the extent of my task today, so I’m pleased. I should be able to replicate the starting procedure when I go down to Larry’s in Sioux Falls next Tuesday night so we can fly early Wednesday morning when the winds will be hopefully light.

No comments:

Post a Comment