Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 Working on the Wing

The JW has been languishing in the garage for several weeks now. It’s comforting to know it’s there and not stuck in the hanger 45 minutes away. We’ve been able to easily negotiate the car in and out of the garage with the JW there and, except for a bunch of stuff crammed into the front that’s destined for the church rummage sale in May, the garage is surprisingly clear of clutter.

Last week I hauled the trailer down the driveway so that I could unload the JW and work on little things on my list. I worked on adjusting the pip pins so they would work easier when assembling, improved some of the wiring, etc. Getting the JW on and off the trailer is a pain, and can be improved by possibly adding a winch similar to a boat winch so I can dismount the JW by myself. Have to think about that. Right now, I just tilt the trailer up, jam a 2x4 to hold up the front, and use a rope around the front of the trailer to load and unload the JW, which works OK for now.

Today I dedicated myself to tinker with the wing. There’s a number of little things needing work, such as adding a strap tie that was missing to the nose, attaching the washout struts, smoothing the fabric to improve the airflow, etc. I had to do all this in the back yard and the door from the garage was blocked with stuff, so I had to carry the wing all the way around the house. My back was killing me afterward! But I’m pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment