Saturday, June 12, 2010

Saturday, June 12, 2010 – Good Day at the Airport


I didn’t get the cables and bungees done this past week, but did get the leading-edge spar back from Victoria Repair. Looks good. I went to the airport this morning to try to finish up putting the wing back together so I could inspect it for holes or tears. So far I haven’t seen any holes except for several very small ones that probably have been there for quite awhile, and no tears. But I won’t know unless I can inflate it fully and inspect both surfaces.
It was overcast with rain threatening, but initially no rain. I hauled the wing onto the grass in front of the hanger and stretched it out. The new leading-edge spar went in very smoothly. I attached the crossbar and the fabric. No problem. The next task was to finish up attaching the keel hardware and the control bar. I got the new tubing that made up the control bar and assembled it. The top of the control bar attaches to a mounting bracket which also adjusts the trim. I had to look around, but finally found the mounting bracket. It went in smoothly, also.
It was about this time the rain cut loose. I still wanted to install the main hang bracket so I could turn the wing to the other side and attach the kingpost, but with the rain, I decided to bundle it up and put it back into the hanger and head for home.
But I’m pleased with the accomplishment today. The next thing is to try to figure out how the kingpost attaches to the keel. I don’t see a separate mounting hole of it; it might share one of the bolts that attaches the control bar. I need to check on that. Again, I regret being such an idiot that I didn’t take enough pictures before I disassembled the wing. It would have made it much easier had I had the foresight to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment